If you want to start a career in cosmetology, Brillare gives you everything you need to know to do that. Of course, you need to learn the proper hairstyling and nail care techniques to earn your cosmetology license, but you also need to know how to start and grow your business. Let’s explore the practical side of starting a cosmetology career, from meeting state requirements to building your book of business.
Meeting State Cosmetology Requirements
Cosmetology license requirements vary depending on the state. Brillare Beauty Institute is based in Chattanooga and Cleveland, TN, so we prepare our students to meet Tennessee’s state cosmetology requirements. These requirements include:
- Completing 1,500 hours of practice and theory at a cosmetology school
- Passing the state’s written and practical examinations
- Meeting all license renewal requirements after you earn your license
Brillare provides the cosmetology school training you need to meet all these requirements. For example, we provide practice exams in our student-run SalonSpa to help you prepare for your state board exams. We make sure you have all the skills and training you need to earn your license so you can start off on your chosen cosmetology career path.
Possible Cosmetology Career Paths
Brillare’s beauty school training prepares you for a wide range of cosmetology career paths. For instance, you could become a hairstylist in a salon, or you could use the nail care skills you learn at Brillare to become a nail technician. You could also become a hair and makeup artist for a local television station. Or you could become an influencer on social media and use your skills to promote certain brands by creating vivid, memorable hair and beauty looks with their products. Ultimately, your career path is your own choice, but Brillare has the tools and resources to help you reach it.
Discover our cosmetology program offerings and begin your career in the beauty industry with Brillare!
Growing Your Book of Business
If you do choose to work in a salon, you’ll need to grow your book of business, which is your base of regular clientele. You can grow and build your book of business using the following strategies:
- Provide a positive salon experience: Interact with your clients in a positive manner, maintain good hygiene, and keep your salon station neat and clean. These simple techniques go a long way toward keeping your clients comfortable and satisfied and ensuring their return to your salon station.
- Welcome walk-ins: Walk-ins, of course, are clients who walk into your salon without a previously scheduled appointment. Not all salons encourage walk-ins, but they are a great way to grow your book of business. Walk-ins can definitely boost the amount of business you perform during slow periods. Additionally, if you give walk-in clients great service, they might just become regular customers.
- Promote your styling services online: Take pictures of styles you’ve performed on clients and post them to social media (with your clients’ permission, of course) to show off your services. Also, does the salon you work for have a website? If it does, see if you can make blog posts or make an employee profile for yourself on it. Many people find out about local businesses through the internet and on social media, so this is a great opportunity to build your book of business.
- Take continuing education courses: Cosmetology is a trade, and you can always learn more about your trade to improve the services you offer to your clients. Research courses available locally as well as specific techniques you’d like to learn. You can always reach out to Brillare to learn about this type of additional training. We can point you in the right direction.
Walk-ins, of course, are clients who walk into your salon without a previously scheduled appointment. Not all salons encourage walk-ins, but they are a great way to grow your book of business. Walk-ins can definitely boost the amount of business you perform during slow periods. Additionally, if you give walk-in clients great service, they might just become regular customers.
Begin Your Cosmetology Career With Brillare
If you want to start your career in the cosmetology industry, reach out to Brillare Beauty Institute today. We can help you fulfill your educational requirements, earn your cosmetologist’s license, and find your dream job!