The winter months can do some pretty undesirable things to our hair and skin. The cold temperatures can cause itchy, dry, irritated skin, while the dry air can damage your hair, eventually leading to breakage and all-around unhealthy strands. To avoid and combat these issues, it’s important you understand how to care for your hair and skin properly in the winter and at all times during the year.
Beauty Tips for Skin in Winter
While you may love this time of year, your skin sure doesn’t. Without proper care, the colder temps can lead to dry and flaky skin, chapped lips, and even cracked skin if you’re not careful. There are several things you can do at home to combat dry skin in the winter time.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet
- Choose a moisturizer carefully and moisturize daily
- Incorporate a hyaluronic acid moisturizer into your routine
- Switch up your beauty routine (choose cream cleansers and limit toners)
- Limit hot showers or baths that will strip your skin of natural oils/moisture
- Add a serum to your routine to enhance the efficiency of moisturizer
- A vitamin C moisturizer like Potent-C Power Serum from Peter Thomas Roth will help with uneven skin tone and help to brighten skin in addition to moisturizing
- Use gentle, fragrance-free soaps and body wash
- Gently exfoliate three times per week
- Always apply sunscreen (use a tinted moisturizer or foundation with SPF)
- Protect your skin from harsh winds and snow with plenty of layers
Beauty Tips for Hair in Winter
Another important thing to take care of in the winter is hair. The indoor heat combined with the cold temps makes for a dry scalp and damaged strands. Fortunately, you can take precautions and use certain products to ensure your hair stays healthy. The best beauty products for your hair will depend on your hair type and concerns, but there are some products that just about everyone should use.
The following tips are good to keep in mind for keeping your mane healthy all year long:
- Limit washing your hair as much as possible; overwashing strips natural oils that keep your hair and scalp moisturized.
- Use dry shampoo in between washes to keep your hair looking fresh when you aren’t washing it every day.
- Use a leave-in conditioner to help with static.
- Don’t forget to dry your hair before going outside; going outside with wet hair will freeze your strands and cause damage.
- When possible, avoid using heat products that will damage your hair even further.
- Find other ways to hydrate your hair; use deep conditioners like the Amika Soulfood Nourishing Mask to deeply condition, hydrate, and restore hair.
To make extra sure you are taking good care of your hair in the winter, it’s smart to see a stylist regularly. They can give you expert advice on how to keep your hair healthy in the winter and recommend specific products for your hair type.
Learn What is Best for Your Skin and Hair
If you are still unsure of what is best for your skin and hair during the upcoming winter months, consult with a professional. At Brillare Beauty Institute, our beauty professionals receive real-world training every day and are fully capable of analyzing your skin and hair needs to give you expert advice. You can look great at all times of the year, so avoid hat hair and dry skin and book an appointment with Brillare Beauty Institute today. We offer a range of services to meet your specific needs and concerns. If you’re interested in enrolling at our beauty school and becoming a professional cosmetologist, contact us for more information.